Saturday, August 13, 2005

Garage Sale

Today is Saturday, the second day of my neighborhood's annual August garage sale. Cheap thrills.

It rained the night before and my neighbors are slow to set out their items for sale in their driveways, while cars carrying impatient shoppers circle the streets in expectation.

I could have participated in the garage sale, but I don't have the patience to sit schvitzing in the heat as I watch people examine my junk that I'd be embarassed to give even to the Salvation Army. It's too bad that I don't have what garage sale shoppers want because I could sure use the money after being unemployed for nearly four months.

I go over to my neighbor's house to see how she's doing. I notice entire families in cars who stop and get out to browse the goods. They seem solemn and intent as they walk up the driveway. Most people avoid eye contact while a few smile and say "hello."

My neighbor is busy collecting money, giving change and placing the purchased items in used plastic grocery store bags, while she keeps an eye on her own two kids, ages 4 and 2. We talk briefly and I'm introduced to a couple who moved into the neighborhood a year ago. Soon, we're interrupted by more buyers waiting to pay for their treasures. Parents are buying used children's toys and clothing. An older woman buys a red and green Christmas sweater. Teenagers flip through a stack of old CD's in a cardboard box.

I stick around for awhile until I get bored and head home. It started raining about an hour ago. Ironically, the homes association plans the garage sale in August rather than in the spring to avoid the possibility of rain. The neighbors have pulled in their items and will leave any unwanted ones on curbside for the trash truck to pick up. But there usually isn't much left after the scavengers have made their rounds overnight.